wine alley govan

Lived there all the way through the 70's until we moved to Cardonald in 1980. Our parents and our brother were also married there, and we were all Christened there as well. Thus, when Renfrewshire was created out of a sheriffdom of Lanarkshire in the early fifteenth century, the lands associated with the hospital (Polmadie) were not technically in the newly created shire, as they were not part of the sheriffdom. Local people were also too scared to speak out for fear of reprisals. Forgotten account? Skater Girl. "And so for the time being I have finished this series (4th book comming this year) what an amazing book I especially loved the mention of the wine alley in govan as that's where my mama is from! Glorious Govan. Vytvori nov et. Both my parents went to Greenfield School then Govan High. My cousin disappeared, the policeman went into the steamie and came out with a bucket of soapy water and a cloth to wipe it off. Call now (425) 271-4501; Address. [10][11], The area was associated with Junior football team St Anthony's who had two grounds in the area. I remember your family at 100 Harmony Row, my cousin Maisie McAlinden was friendly with the family also my Granny, or as she was better known, MAW Austin, hence I was bettter known a Joe Austin. Read More The manager was a man called Jackie. 7 Markus, 1993, p. 163 I attended Harmony Row School and Hills Trust Primary. I went to Govan High school and Fairfield Primary school, I worked at MacDonalds biscuit factory then went to Toronto with my husband Dan Slavin, I miss my wee town, it will not be same anymore. Great times. My dad was taken in to see the wee boy, turns out it was me. He also complained about the abusive term Wine Alley, which was always quoted by officialdom whenever Moorepark scheme came under discussion She got married in 1956 to my grandfather Robert. For (as he says) members of the so-called underclass are not helpless and passive victims of structural circumstances, and that by becoming involved in social, political and economical activities, the community of any area can organise themselves in such a fashion as to understand that community, or collective power, is real.1 Fairfield Shipbuilding and Engineering Company was renamed Govan Shipbuilders in 1973. It is now an industrial estate . I am researching my family tree and as both my grandparents died in 1990 and 1993 respectively I can't ask them. The church, situated at the west end of the village of Govan, and about 100 yards from the Clyde, was built in 1826, and is a plain structure containing 1096 sittings: the . HP10 9TY. I lived at 73 Nethan Street, Govan. I learned then that Govan as I knew it had obviously changed (the three picture houses were gone) but was still a thriving community. Management of entrance into the block zones was poor while the risk of personal attack inside and outside the flats was high. Wine Alley was in a part of Govan which is "pretty much gone now but it was notorious," he described. Clyde News. Hi there, just wondering if anyone has any info or stories on the Slaters, Mckechnies or Hutchisons, hope to hear back. Marconi Electronic Systems and its Marconi Marine unit were sold to British Aerospace in 1999 to form BAE Systems. I was born in Neptune Street, Govan in 1947, my father was Paddy Kelly and my mother Annie, my elder brother was Dick and my younger brother Brian. or. She had two brothers James (b.1924), Michael (b.1928) Agnes (b.1930) and Kathleen (b.1932). One of his best customers was a former police officer who had been thrown out the force due to his heroin addiction. One was that there was no real attempt at involving the tenants in these changes, nor was there any attempt at involving the community in the future management of their own locale. he had come to live in Wine Alley to see for himself why it seemed to be such a horrible place to outsiders. Got in with the wrong crowd in Wine Alley,Govan, Glasgow,(Rab C Nesbitt Country) usual stuff to start with theft,housebreakings(Burglary to those from England), theft of and from motor vehicles, local gang wars etc, then got into some serious crime such as armed robbery, Gun running between Stranraer to Belfast, serious assaults(GBH), . HAPPY TIMES. Smith did know Glasgow well, but Edinburgh (where he later worked as Secretary to the University) was gloriously exotic. I think the whisky bond was one of them. Remember, Charlies sweet shop opposite us, where after playing football we were soaked in sweat, you got a glass of lemonade for threepence. One thing is clear about Woodinville's Woodin Creek, it is very dog friendly! My mother was Frances Leddy and she was born at 57 Hamilton Street in 1926. The area was parodied in the BBC sitcom Rab C. Nesbitt, though episodes were usually filmed elsewhere. ), the street was a dead end because a school had burnt down. Bought my sweets from The Modern Book Shop and Woolworths. I noticed a post by Murray G. Wondering if we might be related at all? Only neighbours I remember were children Mary and her younger brother James Haggerty who lived in same close which I think was 95 Golspie Street. I went to Broomloan Rd nursery then the school. Been looking at the old pictures of Govan and wondered if anyone remembers my father's Chemist/Optician shop at Govan Cross near Helen St, 830 Govan Road. I was searching for Harry Lauder pictures and came across this interesting site. I was the smallest and skinniest one there, there were about 10 of us up on the dyke, they're all shouting at me, so I shouts I'm just gettting ready. My father "served his time" in the Thermotank then for many years was a policeman in Plantation Street. A Gannett Company. I stayed all over Govan, I was born in the Southern General in 1961 and was brought home to Neptune St then I stayed in Govan Rd, Broomloan Rd and Carmichael St. Situated south of the River Clyde and part of the former Burgh of Govan, it was colloquially referred to as 'Wine Alley' during the mid-to-late 20th century when a housing scheme with a rough reputation was sited there. Nobody like them in the World. I remember one time, my big brother hiding in the midden under all the ashes, when I went down three stories to empty the fire ashes. He stayed in Nethen Street and was born in 1931. I stayed in Govan in the early 60's first in a tenement at 118 Govan Road, we stayed in the top storey mum, dad, me, my sister, and baby brother. My family lived at 100 Harmony Row, Govan until I was 10 (born 1953), I lived there with my father Guido Gonnella, my mom Susan, brother William and sisters Helen Marie and Susan also lived with us. It was incorporated into the City of Glasgow in 1912.[5]. Owned by Harry Knop in the 40s. I screamed blue murder, he wanted to pull my pants down, but no way I letting him do that to me. For instance, leaky, crumbling roofs were never repaired during the improvements nor were rotten, draught-causing window frames replaced while the backcourt midden arrangements remained as inadequate as ever. I remember the days my sister and I would take part in the fair while we were in a dancing school, which was named Thompsons. Govan and Fisher, former NBA player and current head coach for the Los Angeles Sparks, got married on Saturday at Cielo Farms in Malibu, California. Brian McQuade, Reflection on Housing Darners later thoughts on a solution to the schemes problems were that it could be found in Community Planning for, as he says, members of the underclass are not helpless and passive victims of structural circumstances. Great memories of Summertown Road baths. I was born in Govan, at home, on Luath Street in 1935. ', "1881 England Census, The London Charterhouse, St Sepulchre Without, London, p.6 RG11/344", "University of Glasgow:: Story:: Biography of Jimmy Reid", "Aircraft and Shipbuilding Industries Act 1977 (c. 3) Schedule 2 Shipbuilding Industry", Govan Maps 1857-1934, National Library of Scotland, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Govan&oldid=1127691800, Wikipedia articles incorporating a citation from the 1911 Encyclopaedia Britannica with Wikisource reference, Short description is different from Wikidata, Articles containing Scottish Gaelic-language text, Articles with MusicBrainz area identifiers, Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License 3.0, This page was last edited on 16 December 2022, at 03:51. I remember that when he told me that he had studied at university and that what he was now doing was his job I laughed at his education and his job. We lived directly opposite the Steamie and I vividly recall playing ball against the red brick wall for hours. Added to these miseries, Damer also found that drug There is absolutely no hiding from the fact that no Section 30 is the bullying action of a . I guess I drifted away from Govan for some time although I watched it contract as the shipyard industry faded and that was until my interest was aroused as the company I was working for took up new premisis near the Southern General as it was then. I learned to play tennis in the Elder Park which stood by me for I played the game for the next 60 years wherever I landed. Without a home, mankind has no place. It arrived at a house in Liverpool and then left a short time later to head back to Glasgow, arriving about midnight. Young Young Winey (Govan) (G51) (Moorpark) 'Republican Wine Alley' . It was regarded at the time as perhaps the worst slum in Britain, and the people who lived there were treated like vermin by the authorities whom we treated likewise. It was regarded at the time as perhaps the worst slum in Britain, and the people who lived there were treated like vermin by the authorities whom we treated likewise. Scots: Gouan; Scottish Gaelic: Baile a' Ghobhainn) is a district, parish, and former burgh now part of south-west City of Glasgow, Scotland. You never forget these things, but what great days and what character building it was. Editors' Code of Practice. I was born at 61 Greenfield street in 1957 we lived above the dairy and I remember the betting shop. And increase their/your revenues. 14276 Southeast 176th Street. I am looking for the name of a barbers shop that was on Langlands Road at Helen street end. Somehow the government cannot understand that external improvements can only benefit any dilapidated area by not only improving its external image but also by giving the local residents a sense of Well-Being. In fact, the idea was publicly abused in the first of the two SEU documents above. Regular bus services, mainly operated by McGill's Bus Services and First Glasgow, offer frequent routes to Glasgow City Centre, as well as to numerous locations in Renfrewshire. If you have a complaint about the editorial content which relates to I went to Harmony Row school then Hills Trust school, then to Govan High school. If his western city is invariably "smoky" and even hellish in aspect, throughout his poem "Edinburgh" the Scottish capital is glimpsed "high in . A Victor Harbor businessman is forging ahead with bold plans for a $350m marina, apartment, hotel and convention centre project near The Bluff, despite the local council opposing major development . I stayed at 146 Copland Road above the Light Blue Cafe went to Ibrox primary School 1941 till 1948 happy times. My mother Josaphine Devlin and her brother Greg were born Drumoyan Street Govan. I grew up in Govan from 1946 to 1957 in Wick St. My family moved from North Uist to Govan to find work as did many others. You can make a complaint by using the report this post link . I remember Vogue would show two part Westerns that made us come back the following Saturday to find out who won the fight, there was also an entertainer named "uncle Harry" who would go up on the stage when the movie was over and ask us to wave our white hankies that we were asked to bring, we would all stand up and sing "Pack up your troubles in your old kit bag" before we left. So, at the age of 46 I started three years of studies with projects that involved Govan Initiative and Glasgow University until I was finally accepted as a full-time student at Glasgow. It was like growing up in a wasteland! Only a few years into it, faults like dampness had begun to appear in the tower blocks of the Laurieston/ Gorbals project, which rapidly turned into a disaster area. He and his pals jumped out and I ran back up three stories screaming. Does anyone remember; Sophie, Robert; and Mary,who lived in Carmichael Street, Govan 1936? Just looking for anybody who new the Paterson, dad george known as Geordie and mum Betty, sisters Elaine, Brenda and brother George. For Margaret Gibson - I saw that you lived in Kintra Street until 1960 and wondered if you knew my grandmother Mary McGill/Johnston who lived at 110 Kintra Street in 1956. I didn't open my mouth, I was sure I was going to jail. Third, the importance of housing management services such as concierge or neighbourhood warden duties are understated in the document, and they are not considered as playing a core public service in the maintenance and upkeep of the areas they service.10 Within 10 years, Glasgow Corporations repair and maintenance service to the area had declined noticeably because the Corporation was simply not interested. The owner later came in with home-made tablet for all of us. Govan was the site of a ford and later a ferry which linked the area with Partick for seasonal cattle drovers. Encouraging families to participate in the community and to use local facilities and services Ensuring that the voice of those living in poverty is heard No1seems2care. Of The Wine Alley is a boutique wine shop specializing in fine wines from the Pacific NW and Around the world! [9] It had also been parodied by the BBC Scotland television comedy series Rab C. Nesbitt, with Wine Alley and the wider Govan area the stated setting for the show, though episodes were seldom filmed there. I then went to Govan High, teachers I remember and not with any fondness are Jockey Rayburn (Maths) Duncan (English) and Miss Downny (Maths) who was a lovely teacher, I had two brother George and Stuart who also went to the same primary and also went to Govan High. Naw, he was told, but we have a wee boy in the back. Darner had two criticisms of the improvement programme. My Aunt Marg & Uncle Jack Johnstone had the paper shop on Govan Road. Police enter in twos with another car on standby. I've been back to visit my relatives several times, but the old places are gone. It would also mean long hours of up to 18 hours day in unpleasant conditions. 100m D.C Hair&Beauty . My cousin Pat and I were just reminiscing about memories of the Steamie - which I think I was dragged along to, to help Mrs. Mary Devlin, in about 1965? Instead, it referred to the popularity of cheap and powerful tonic wines particularly with young people - the vast consumption of which would often lead to violence and disorder. I have many happy memories of Govan. Vezi mai multe de la Sunny Govan Memories pe Facebook. I met him at our place of employment. As I recall they sold very trendy tops marketed as Trendy. Community organisation. The Govan of my parents had gone, the works and the jobs and the people they spoke about had all gone. I considered that I did a real job and that what he did for a living was nonsense. We went this year to the Fairfield shipyard museum which was very interesting. Any way they started to ask us our schools and of course my mates answered Broomloan Rd, Bellahouston and Lorne St, but when it came my turn my truthful answer was Our Lady and St Margaret's Primary just up the road from here. My Aunt Marg and Cousin Debbie still live in Govan. The Catholic Church that was located in Stanley Street was I believe the largest Catholic Church in Glasgow and at one time had 5 resident Priests. Many of the people who buy these flats do not intend to stay in them rather; they hope either to rent them out at exorbitant prices or to sell them quickly at a greater price than they bought them for. who traditionally incorporate the red and black civic colours in the socks of their kit;[43] their Ibrox Stadium has a stand named for Govan (the closest to the heart of the burgh), although officially this was re-named after their former player Sandy Jardine in 2014.[44].

Accident Mount Desert Island, Articles W

wine alley govan

Place your order. It is fully free for now

By clicking “Continue“, you agree to our sunderland player wages and remus and sirius saves harry from the dursleys fanfiction. We’ll occasionally send you promo and account related emails.