magdalena bay panga fishing

Behind me, Ricardo lets out a soft whistle that sounds just like a distant coyote. A prime example: Magdalena Bay, on the Pacific coast of Mexicos storied Baja Peninsula. Some of the thousands of fishing pelicans. length:7.25m/23 feet 8 inches - width 1.78m/ 5 feet 8 inches weight 1500 lbs / Made from Fiberglass. Our 24 ft panga is for 2 anglers is $400 per day. He can probably set up anything. Notify me of follow-up comments by email. Our Packages are based on 2 Anglers, notice that this is a suggestion you can add Anglers, days or combine it with other locations. www.tailhunter.com Mexico Office: Tailhunter Sportfishing. Frozen in the blue quiet. I pushed up the lever drag on the Daiwa Saltiga and came tight immediately. On morning number four of our trip, the cool bay air gives me goose bumps as we motor. :). Thats the shortcut route; to boat down to the large mouth of the bay and then northwest to Thetis is more like 45 miles. I hadnt seen one of those reels in 30 years, so it was a bit retro but lots of fun. There were several boats using this technique and most were hooking up regularly. Magdalena Sport Fishing. The Blue Water fishery is the stuff of legends, the heart of which is an area known as the Ridge. If we can't match the rate of the other deal because one of the above conditions is Also whats the best way from Loreto to Lopez mateos. There are innumerable yacht charters that will literally make all heads turn to the dock. Are Wahoo in the bay too? We're hoping to fish for Wahoo. 4 People Minimum, 2 pangas (2 per panga) 7 nights 5 days fishing; La Paz - Las Arenas/ Muertos Bay/ Suenos Bay/ Magdalena Bay Fishing Report from Tailhunter Sportfishing for Week of Feb. 24-March 4, 2018. . At just about that instant, the big billfish burst high out of the water several times, leaping and twisting wildly. Our globe-trotting correspondent discovers big striped marlin and plenty more in the Galpagos. The experience is both fascinating and intriguing. Help us make more videos by clicking the like button. Thirty minutes later and its the post-release chatter, all high fives, and back slaps. If there are five marlin attacking the bait, there are 20 or more slowly swimming beneath it. Crispin Mendoza is the living legend of San Carlos, a small town near the bay. It hits me with as much depth as the water beneath me. Call us today for more information or to book your trip (619)483-7315. I could hear shouting across the waves, as other kayak anglers, rods bent over hard, were pulled in various directions. Brian J. Cantwell. I hear waves hitting the side of the boat, birds calling out, radio chatter, Spanish being spoken rapidly. his Lodge was built nearly 30 years ago by some well respected Americans with a vision for fishing in Mag Bay that was far ahead of the time. Going on a whale watching tour in Loreto is a must-do! A series of barrier Islands form a . It is not an easy sport by nature, and when you add an environment that is full of opportunity, yet as challenging as the sport itself, then flyfishing goes beyond sport and into crazy worlds where fish light up, cannon balls get lodged into rocks, and anglers can feel their heart and hands charge with anticipation. The other deal is bookable online and is still available when we check. There must be 50 to 100 marlin all around me! Daiwas Marc Mills was unable to follow that advice, as he was also hooked up. Cabo Fishing rentals/ Cabo fishing Charters. we're a party of 3 adults. In addition, Loreto's waters are home to other species like snapper and seabass, all year long. B ottom and/or Deep Sea Fishing depending on the season and target species.. Flies are cast in the general direction of these rocks while the outgoing tide makes a massive rip a half-mile wide. Captain G, for example, starting driving a fishing panga 42 years ago when he was 12 years old. This experience leads to an appreciation that goes beyond the norm, beyond expectation, and certainly beyond fishing trip.. It is such a large area, with so many species and migratory aspects to the fish, thatunless you were to fish 12 months a year, through all the tides, moons, and weatherit would be nearly impossible to figure out this fishery. Magdalena Bay , 2/8/2023, National Geographic Sea Bird. Its normal for the whales to surround the boat, play around, and look you in the eye. Prices subject to change without notice. Marlin take turns tearing into a ball of bait the size of an SUV. Looking out onto the Bay of Banderas, this town is finely positioned for inshore and nearshore fishing, with deepwater action on offer in the Pacific Ocean just a few miles out. We're hoping to fish for Wahoo. 6) Fish the grounds for 5 to 6 hours and return home. Im not sure if Ricardo is even aware of how skilled he is at imitating every bird, insect, or wild sound he hears, but Ive noticed. Ramon . The interconnected bays include Bahia Magdalena, Bahia Almeja and a series of smaller bays ending at Santa Domingo to the north. : $950. If youre planning your next getaway to Baja California Sur, the lagoons of Mag Bay are a must-see! Drake Magazine Back Issue Content Winter 2019. There is nowhere else like it on Earthyou just have to figure out how to get there. Other times, there was a guy on the bow with a spinning rod, throwing some kind of lurehe also was hooking up regularly. I grabbed it, pushed off from the panga and pedaled hard as I free-spooled away from my lively 7-inch mackerel. However, I could see Shafers point: Too much chasing was going to have an effect on the fish. . Winter fishing features "yellow tail" (jurel) and other species that usually are deep in the sea rocks. I stayed with Wilber, and he and his son will take me out in his Panga at first light. If youre lucky, you might even get your hands on some Spotted Bass, Dog Tooth Snapper, Halibut, Snook, Corniva, and Grouper. Bright blue silence. Instead, he simply trolls a standard East Coast spread with two dredges, two squid chains and a pair of hookless lures or ballyhoo, and all fish are teased to the boat. If you have always wanted to fishing in Mag Bay, there is no better option. Waterbottle. With options to fish in the Bay, inshore and offshore, you'll be sure to have an amazing time fishing Mag bay. Thank you again for everything. Looking for info on Lodgings and Panga rentals in Mag Bay for a few days in September. All meals and beverages as indicated on the itinerary. Rumor has it that the record for conventional tackle releases at Mag Bay is close to 200 striped marlin in one day, which pretty much sums up this amazing fishery. With such a vast area, and countless species, time typically becomes a limiting factor more so than lack of fish. Your email address will not be published. It is protected by two islands - Isla Magdalena to the north and, Isla Santa Margarita to the south. ith time one of the founders unfortunately passed and the remaining owners decided to partner up to open up the lodge to some lucky tourists. Its all part of the adventure when kayak-fishing Magdalena Bay. We had two different captains, both were knowledgeable and informative. His captain was Juan Jose Abaroa Flores, who ran the Mucho Loco for the Rolling Stones for many years back in the 1980s. It took me about two minutes to sign up for the expeditionfinally, I was going to Mag Bay. Max 4 anglers per cruiser. MAGDALENA BAY, Mexico Just off the bow of our 22-foot open boat what Baja fishermen call a "panga" a whale spout erupts with an adrenalin-spiking "fwooosh." Larocque, the owner, uses 26-foot pangas as mother ships to transport kayaks, anglers and gear within and outside the bay. The closer the big fish get to the bait, the brighter they get with excitement. Whale watching has been passed down through Crispins family to his adult sonalso our hostMarco Antonio Mendoza, who built a safari-style camp at the base of the mountains on a nearby island. Combination packages mixing cruiser, panga, kayak or beach fishing; Large groups and Seminars; Activities that include snorkeling, scuba diving, whale watching, kayaking, four wheelers, eco-touring and horseback riding . These are but a few samples available. In 2018, Smith and Shafer spent 12 days in Mag Bay, releasing 317 striped marlin on fly. The best time - season to fish Magdalena Bay it's from early June to late December. We spotted the frigate birds working the surface; when we got close, we could see the marlin in hot pursuit. Nick gets pulled slowly down the beach before putting the screws to whatever hes hooked, stopping it just before the sandy shore merges into a mangrove wall. During the calving season, the gray whales migrate to the Baja waters, and so do humans. Striped marlin gorge on bait balls off far-flung Magdalena Bay, creating unparalleled action and record catch numbers. You have contacted us immediately after booking with all the details of the other deal Reels spin loudly to the tune of unknown breakoffs and the occasional Spanish Mackerel. The lodge is well maintained, has access to the swimming pool, hot tub, huge garage, workshop, tackle room, outside dining area, and more. Wed jump in and the bait would quickly dash over to see if our boat offered any protectionwhich it didntthen they would take off again. Larocque, the owner, uses 26-foot pangas as mother ships to transport kayaks, anglers and gear within and outside the bay. When I see the first sailfish approach the baitball, I swim back to the boat. The area erupts with outstanding action in 2019. $1000 for a Cape Horn 27 and $1,750 for a Pro Cat 37. The experience is both fascinating and intriguing. . What else is out here? Gathering my thoughts and my breath, I start to move, swimming toward a grey shadow. From dawn til dusk. data-event-category="Navigation header guest", Full list of top fishing charters in Magdalena Bay, FishingBooker has a Shopper Approved rating of 4.8/5 based on 25793 ratings and reviews. Full services of our Adventure Consultants. Striped marlin gather in great numbers off Magdalena Bay during the fall and early winter, but its remote location, cutting deep into the mostly uninhabited Pacific side of the central Baja coast, keeps fishing pressure minimal. That day, we released 14 stripeys out of 20 bites, most on the lighter bait rods. By Robert Reid. 15. . You can drive all the way to Mag Bay. Smith prefers tube flies with a single barbless hook: When the fish runs, the tube fly slides up the line, so there is a good chance to get it back when the fish is released or breaks off. Its not an easy task to release a 60 lbs wahoofrom a popper on a spinning rod. Our SUV is bouncing along the dirt moguls of a dark road . We are in the Bahia San Francisco, not to be confused with the Bahia San Francisquito, there is the Bahia de Los Angeles and in general the names here are very Christian: Isla Espiritu Santo, Bahia Concepcion, Santa Maria, Magdalena Bay, Isla Angel de la Guardia, Asuncion, Todos Santos. Private TOUR. According tolocals, the rocks here once stood taller, before the Americans used them for target practice in the spring of 1908. For angler seeking some of the best fishing left on the planet and that appreciate remote and wild locations, this is your place. On other trips, he had watched dozens of marlin finning on the surface as they cruised slowly downsea. It's a gorgeous place to visit for the pristine beaches, mangroves, and sardine runs. But its a short season, and for many locals, the whale-watching jobs end far too soon. Calle Puerto La Paz 40, Bahia Magdalena, 23740 Magdalena Bay, B.C.S., Mexico. We have in-shore mangrove fishing and off-shore, deep-sea pelagic fishing in the Pacific. What I mean is there shuttles rent a car or what transportation is there to get from airport to there and I offshore flyfish. All transportation while on tour. Contact Jimmy Camacho from Jimmys Sportfishing. Casting into feeding blitzes is common in these inshore waters. My friend Nick and I shout with joy, accompanied by excited words in Spanish from our new friends. What I like most about mag bay in general is the seclusion and peace. The inshore waters that lay just beyond the barrier islands team with sierras, roosterfish, corvina, cortez halibut, pargo, grouper, yellow tail, skip jack, dorado, yellowfin tuna and wahoo. Nick answers my next question in the affirmative: Yes, John, thats a coyote trying to drag a giant snook into the mangroves. Captain Aldo Atonto tells us the fish will be up within the hour. Guaranteed hookups on striped marlin during the season Magdalena Bay. Magdalena Bay, Lopez Mateos, Baja. 202/642-6386) has been leading whale-watching experiences. 11 min read. Mag Bay will give up nothing easy, but for anglers willing to put in the time, money, and casts, the payoffs can be fantastic. Magdalena Bay - SLC magbaylures.com Name Toby Boat Name 36' ProKat Aug 31, 2018 #11 . The productive and healthy marine environment is an anglers dream come true! Casting anything you want all day long and hooking wahoo, giant tuna, dorado, marlin one after another on every cast. Those who know me, know that fishing is my life. Mag Bay is about the size of San Francisco Bay, and the largest villages in the area are Puerto San Carlospopulation: 5,500and Lopez Mateos, which are a bit rustic to say the least. Captain Frankie to make sure we catch as much fish as you can. The baitfish school together for protection; the ones on the outside are the first to get eaten, so naturally everyone wants to be in the center. Eventually, the marlin would tire of the diver/sea lion combination and leave the area. Wed run ahead of them and the five photographers in our group would plop into the water; the bait would swim over and use us as cover. Get in! Toby Larocque urged frantically as he and skipper Danny Infante slid a Hobie Pro Angler 14 off the pangas gunwale and into the Pacifics low ground swell. The fish push the bait to the surface, then attack it from below. Seen here is Marc Mills with a nice yellowtail. Magdalena Bay fishing area weather was mostly clear in the mid-90s, with water temperatures at 78 to 84 degrees. Part of the issue with Mag Bay and cheap Pangas is that the Wahoo are about 40 miles offshore generally and in the pacific. These boats have to be self-sufficient and will spend their evenings anchored down at one of the three acceptable anchorages. I was traveling with retired Marine Col. Hunter Ledbetter who had a friend named Jim Korchinski who owned a charter boat in Cabo. . The two "foundations" of Loreto's sport fishing are the "dorado" and the "yellow tail" (Seriola lalandi dorsalis). It lasted for several hours, then suddenly everything stopped. For more information email us at [email protected] or click on the link Mag Bay fishing trips. You can select from a day tour (US$450 per boat for five hours of whale . The sight of multiple tall dorsal fins cutting through bait schools is enough to get any anglers heart racing. Once at the grounds, the kayaks slide easily off the pangas low sides. About. However, the crew soon gave us the high sign; with at least 2 hours to get to the lodge, it was time to pack up. If you want to have a great time by the sea, Tag Cabo Sportfishing is your best bet. Just dont expect flats boats, perfect English, or guides with full fly boxes. Baja Flyfishing Co is excited to offer Lopez Mateos/Magdelena Bay as one of our destinations, providing access to several hundred miles of mangrove channels, pristine beaches and the fabled Thetis Banks. 755 Paseo Obregon. What makes the Magdalena Bay offshore fishing so astonishing is a convergence of conditions that occur in the fall. The ProKat seemed to be in good working order along with all the fishing gear. Like most destination fisheries, there are a range of optionsfrom dirtbagging yourself down there and putting your money toward boats and guides, to going with all-inclusive, airport-to-airport services. Survive, is what an angler does the first few minutes after hooking a striped marlin. I have been visiting mag bay since my youth. Often there will be a half-dozen boats circling one bait ball. Hot b-fast, pre-pack lunch & cold beverage to-go. All rights reserved. We can customize your trip to include both mangrove and blue water days. In the smaller boat, we could run ahead of the bait/bird/marlin frenzy and hop into the water. Check out our videos just to see a trip or two when the cameras were rolling. MagBay lodge offers pickups, taxis from loreto, or car rentals are all options. Ask Bob. 4) The Panga brings the kayaks out to the location so they are ready when we arrive in the boat. The bite for three hours was as hot as it gets for three anglers fishing a seamount 75 miles off Costa Rica. Hi, no Wahoo never come inside the bay. Flyfishing is not remotely new to Mag Bay, but the current state of the sport absolutely is. Dinners are not included as there are now more options to eat in town. 4 STROKE YAMAHA OUTBOARD. Infante stuck a Daiwa Saltiga lever-drag reel in my face. But there is more to Magdalena Bay than the sardine run. e invite you to reach out and give us a call or checkout more on the website. Dorado, Tuna, Sailfish, Marlin, and even Wahoo likely on the Fly I never fished Mag Bay, but I want to soon. This day tour is the ultimate whale watching experience in Cabo San Lucas - you will likely have the opportunity to see gray whales and their calves up close and personal in calm, shallow water, and the opportunity to pet the whales is not uncommon. These places in the bluewater world are teaming with life, and they showcase the dance on a daily basis between apex predators like billfish, sea lions, and anglers. Smith told me they were at the Finger one day when there were marlin tails everywhere and everything imaginable was crashing a bait ball the size of an Olympic swimming pool: birds, dolphins, whales, marlin, mahi. A surreal feeling begins setting in as the soft light of evening meets the low slack tide. Smith has released more than 5,000 billfish on fly in his career. When we arrived, there were several other boats on the horizon and it wasnt hard to figure out where the fish were. Id heard stories about Mag Bays incredible striped marlin fishing from Smith and others for years, but not having a 60-plus-foot sport-fisherman at my disposal made it impossible to get there myself. Boulevard marina esquina marlin 1 lote C9 Col. Centro Cabo San Lucas B.C.S Mexico 23450, The Most Popular Water Sports That You Must Try Once. Smith has released more than 5,000 billfish on fly in his career. Boat Specs - Success Sport Fishing | Fishing, Spearfishing, and Surfing Trips . As mentioned, the main predators of the sardine include the Striped Marlin, sea lions and occasionally whales, which work as a team to corner and push the bait balls to the surface from the depth of the sea, a situation that takes advantage of the earwigs, pelicans and seagulls that attack from outside by launching themselves like rockets on sardines as part of the food chain. Most of the sport-fishing boats that hit Mag Bay come from Cabo and run the 170 or so nautical miles north. He says there are still cannon balls stuck in the rocks. With four passengers, kayaks and lots of gear, our boat was heavier than the norm, but with mucho creaking, the truck pulled us out and only once required a stop to add air to a sagging tire with an old bicycle pump. Its one of Bajas last frontiers, but there are few other places on Earth where so many billfish congregate so predictably. The fish at Mag Bay are also well-fed, but the lack of boat harassment and sheer numbers of marlin make it an exceptional destination, especially for fly fishing. Find frigate birds low on the water and the stripeys are sure to be there. Looking for someone to split boat 1st November. Magdalena Bay is the name for a 30-mile-long harbor with a collection of mangrove rivers and swamps near the bottom of Bajas Pacific Coast. Fast and very furious: Doubleheaders and even triple and quadruple hookups are the norm when striped marlin are actively feeding on bait balls near the surface. Because his goal is to release as many billfish as possible without permanent injury, the single hook is key: It wont impair the marlins ability to breathe or feed like a double-hook rig can. Its not a place to learn flycasting; its a place where knowing how to manipulate 500-grain sink-tips is just as important as knowing how to move big poppers on floating lines. Speaks great English and got us some (9) wahoo last September. Our plan was simple. Other options are available. Magdalena Bay Previous Entry. His captain, Chip Shafer, runs Smiths custom 64-foot Bayliss Old Reliable from Costa Rica or Guatemala up to Cabo San Lucas in September, and they usually stay through December. They werent lit up and there wasnt any bait in sight, they were just following the ones that were actively feeding. The bait fish congregate as do the predators that hunt them. California fly angler wins conventional bass tourney. Is family owned & Operated "Proudly Creating Life-Long Memories" for morethan 23,000 people in the past 32 plus years .You will have the privilege to embark on a interactive adventure through the majestic ever glade waters of " Magdalena Bay" with father Crispin (Whale King) or one . Guided Panga, includes fly fishing guide all fishing equipment, bait, lunch and water. 1. When the bite is on, Shafer will run the boat up from Cabo San Lucas, while Smith flies from his home in Florida to Cabo, then drives six hours to Puerto San Carlos where a local guide will ferry him out to the boat. Many products featured on this site were editorially chosen. Late September the water warmed up. Jimmy is the guy! In the afternoons we still found the bait balls, but they were smaller and probably tired. Great, I think to myself. full service galley A/C. Mag Bay Lodge is one of the few operations in the area that caters to anglers. . The in-water viewpoint was very interesting. The Life of Ryan. In 2018, Smith and Shafer spent 12 days in Mag Bay, releasing 317 striped marlin on fly. Our next trip: October 20-25, 2022. Its easy to keep pace with fins. What to target, and where, within the greater Mag Bay system, are decisions that might leave anglers second-guessing over a vast expanse of quiet water. Landing this exotic and surprising prize opened our imaginations. 8:00 AM - Meet at Sea and Land Office. It has moved onto the next stages, where perhaps more balance can be found with each fishermans son or daughter finding opportunity in new industries that are well-managed and well-regulated. The kayakers were brought offshore on pangas but fought the fish on their own. The Finger Bank is Mag Bay Lite. But we never make it. This gives me some time to calm down. Two minutes later, Aldo points and says, matter-of-factly, Marlin. I jump to the bow, strip line off my reel, and stand in awe as 15 marlin blitz bait around us. Promnitz said later he might have been close enough to cast a jig to them. Not much, that is, aside from an annual explosion of sardines that attracts mobs of striped marlin, piles of wahoo . 7 hrs whale watching and more. Copyright 2017 - bajaflyfish.com - All Rights Reserved. The inside protected mangrove channels provide critical nursery habitat for a wide variety of species including: snook, corvine, bonefish, spotted bass, pargo, snappers, golden trevalle, broomtail grouper, sierra, Cortez halibut, leather jacks, as well as roosterfish. Other than whale-watching, sportfishing is what sets Mag Bay apart. I took it all in from a little plastic boat that weighs considerably less than I do, while rushing over the surface with no evident means of propulsion. We all know that fishing in Mag Bay is world class. By 3 p.m., seas were sporty and building. Mexico's Magdalena "Mag" Bay is among the best and most consistent sportfishing experiences in the world. The ridge consist of a long range of mountains with many peaks coming up to 100 ft or so. Each morning, we would meet the guide and run across the bay in the panga, where we then met a boat trailer ferry to take us over land and across the peninsula to the Pacific, which saved us hours of running time. Mag Bay is the deep end of the pool. Over summer 2021, weve caught a whole lot of, Well, we have delayed our Mag Bay fishing reports once again, and for that we apologize. The multi-station layout on the Jarrett Bay 56 makes it a one-of-a-kind sportfishing boat. Or, you could be left shaking your head at the fish-filled mayhem that can turn on at any moment. That begs some explanation. It's normal for the whales to surround the boat, play around, and look you in the eye. : $675. Chapstick. Day 1 - The tour departs at 6am from our office in the Cabo San Lucas Marina. On the other side of the islands, some of the most productive banks provide world-class fishing of pelagic species in large quantities, where each year in November, a natural phenomenon known as the Marlin run gathers in large numbers. package offer, etc.). And yes, the snook is too big to fit between the roots.. 27' SPORT PANGA . Magdalena Bay fishing area weather was partly cloudy in the high-70s, with water temperatures at 67 to 73 degrees. He runs adventure trips all over the world to photograph everything from sharks to orcas to anacondas. One of the most amazing sights at Mag Bay is watching hordes of striped marlin chase schools of Spanish sardines and tinker mackerel to the surface. Known locally as The Whale King, Mendoza is a pioneer of whale watching and sport fishing on the bay. Panga $450 - Unguided Light Tackle $750 - Guided Fly Fishing. Baha Magdalena is a protected bay on the Pacific coast in Baja Sur. Its all about getting there in this case, to Thetis Bank, about 30 miles off the northern part of Mag Bay. The best out of 7 charter fishing deals in Magdalena Bay - enter dates to check availability . The extraordinary display of so many striped marlin crisscrossing and on the hunt for prey was mesmerizing. The ridges, peaks, banks, and underwater structure outside of Magdalena Bay offer some of the richest fishing grounds in the world. I just want to go on a cheap $350 a day type of panga (ex: like in San Quintin, La Paz, etc). Guests chose between local panga rides to the mouth of the bay in search of whales or to a mangrove surrounding a local oyster farm.

Porter County Court Docket, Kubernetes Lens Vs Rancher, Zach Williams Tour 2022, Articles M

magdalena bay panga fishing

Place your order. It is fully free for now

By clicking “Continue“, you agree to our sunderland player wages and remus and sirius saves harry from the dursleys fanfiction. We’ll occasionally send you promo and account related emails.