long binh ammo dump explosion 1968

They both hobbled through the rest of the days fighting. We suffered more wounded during the trip back to III Corps, where I was called to a meeting in the headquarters. Tower sent the battalion S3, Major Jones, to take command, and once Alpha got moving, it did a magnificent job. -- color photo Near Moc Hoa. 0.04 As you know there were no officers His action probably saved the lives of everyone on my track. Soldiers of the U.S. 2nd Battalion 47th Infantry (Mechanized) and 4th Battalion 39th Infantry clearing a hamlet during the Tet Offensive in Vietnam. During the last week of January, the battalion patrolled the jungles east of Highway 15, near the Binh Son rubber plantation. At least 3,000 tons of ammu nition were reportedly de stroyed in the blasts, which be gan before dawn and continued until midmorning. The two of them refused evacuation and neither reported his wound. I yelled at Lieutenant Casper and everybody looked around as the VC tore out running the last few yards to safety. History is a guide to navigation in perilous times. To get to the church, we had to run a gantlet of fire, through the VC 238th Regiment and into the flank of the 275th, which was fighting the 2-47s scout platoon in Widows Village. ", "I then went to the CP and tried We fired everything we had into the buildings lining the roadway and took several wounded while getting to the church. He retired from the U.S. Army as a lieutenant colonel. January 12, 1972. by: Arnold John Houchin Bin Ha, USAF 3rd Security Police Squadron 1970-1972 Phu Cat, 37th SPS; Thu Hoa, 31st SPS; . I remember one After telling them to stop shooting Shopping Cart | more that happened that night. A soldier, who has been hit, lying prone between two other soldiers, tries to get up. I realize now that the track was high enough that the rounds would have passed over the troops in front of the vehicle, Love recalls. Meanwhile, Charlie Company was ordered back to III Corps. Terms & Conditions | Since I was in an airborne unit, I was sure I would go to the 173rd Airborne Brigade or the 101st Airborne Division. rockets at Bien Hoa AB and Long Binh Post. Since I was in an airborne unit, it seemed certain that I would go to the 173rd Airborne Brigade or the 101st Airborne Division. Its predominantly Catholic population was made up of many Vietnamese who fled North Vietnam in 1954 after the Viet Minh victory. During the meeting, a master sergeant adviser to a Vietnamese ranger battalion ran into the compound. Cambodian border to the South China sea was already considered a [3]:2305 By dawn the VC/PAVN were retreating northwards pursued by helicopter gunships and at 06:15 Company C, 4/12th Infantry began moving north in pursuit, intending to pin the VC/PAVN against a force from Company B, 2nd Battalion, 3rd Infantry Regiment which was moving south. The action occurs January 31st, 1968 (on "Tet", the Vietnamese Lunar New Year holiday). I assigned areas of operation to my two rifle platoons, and positioned the weapons platoon inside the compound as a reserve and security force. A few minutes later, a jeep drove up carrying two extremely frightened white-shirted policemen. Ammo Dump Exlosion Sapper Attack! At the end of the previous day, Charlie Company had reported 38 VC killed, at the cost of only 11 U.S. wounded and three APCs damaged by RPGs. About 30 minutes later, the track was back with only the driver, who reported the ranger sergeant had been killed and that it had been impossible to get the wounded. the airbase made it too us in the daylight and foamed the ditch for GV AMERICAN SOLDIERS IN F/G. Their 81mm mortars were useless, since we were told we could not put any indirect fire into the town. Blood stains in ambulance. History is who we are and why we are the way we are.. Dong Ha vietnam 1968 | Dong Ha ammo dump explosion from NVA artillery fire. . Many of the enlisted personnel with medical MOSs work two to three days per week at the 93 rd Evacuation Hospital, then came back to the 24 th to work on the various construction projects. The view is from the compound of the 20th. Refine Your Search Long Binh Vietnam 1968 stock footage and images - Showing 1 to 6 of 5537 results Sort by: All All Search Results Decade 1890 - 1899 (3) 1900 - 1909 (18) 1910 - 1919 (136) 1920 - 1929 (83) more Location Aalen Germany (1) Aberdeen Proving Ground Maryland USA (1) Afghanistan (2) Africa (3) more Akron Ohio USA (3) When I pointed out that the 101st Battalion had more than 500 troops and I had only two line platoons and fewer than 90 troops, he said, Youre mechanized, youre very strong., I told him we could not take the tracks off Highway 1 and into town because the streets and alleys were too narrow. Riflemen moving cautiously. I had no way of knowing who it was with no light in the No tactic I had learned at infantry school fit that situation, so we improvised. I almost did [3]:23950, In the late afternoon of 31 January after clearing the Widow's Village 2/47th Infantry advanced into Ho Nai from the south, the town appeared deserted. No infantry school tactic fit the situation; improvisation became the order of the day. Most of these photos were taken in an area a few miles north of Chu Lai and south of Hoi An. The 2nd Platoon took the one north of the road, the 1st Platoon attacked the other. Long Binh Vietnam 1969 stock footage and images - Showing 1 to 6 of 5540 results Sort by: All Decade 1890 - 1899 Location (1) Norfolk Virginia USA (2) Normandy France (12) Norman Oklahoma USA (1) (1) (1) North Carolina United States USA (2) North Chicago Illinois USA (1) North Dakota United States USA (1) North Haven Maine USA (1) North Korea (1) License Agreement | Helicopter gunships took off from Bien Hoa AB to investigate, but were unable to locate the force in the darkness. I walked back to my track, thinking this was going to be a nightmare. 0.48 After we finished clearing the area around the compound and as our wounded were being dusted off, I received an absolutely incredible order from III Corps. As the C-23 track Stormy, which was in the lead, turned into a side street, an RPG slammed into its front, smashing the radiator and wounding several soldiers. An accurate body count could never be compiled since so many VC bodies were dragged away or were burned in the many fires in the towns and villages. My Aerial view of (USARV) United States Army Republic of Vietnam Headquarters Complex at Long Binh, Vietnam. M-113 Armored Personnel Carrier on guard. By Vietnam terms The Long Binh ammunition dump had exploded. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp. General Patton's son, then Lt. Col. George Patton III, commander of the U.S. Army's 11th Armored Cavalry (Black Horse), positioned his tanks in between our big bunker hills . That night, no one slept, but instead scanned the jungles with Starlight scopes, seeing nothing. Benny Toney, the 2nd Platoon sergeant, hooked a tow cable to Stormy. [2]:349, The perimeter was strengthened by an ad hoc force of support personnel from the 145th Aviation Battalion and just before midday the ARVN 57th Regional Force Battalion moved through the base and counterattacked the VC forcing them to withdraw east into the rubber plantation leaving behind over 100 dead. Bravo Company was sent to protect the Long Binh ammunition dump, and Charlie Company was ordered into downtown Bien Hoa, where the ARVN III Corps headquarters was in danger of being overrun. Chu Lai and LZ Baldy Photos. EXPLOSIONS IN DISTANCE He wanted to borrow one of our tracks. 6. The explosion echoed over an area of 50 miles. [2]:352[3]:2067, At approximately 05:30, the 2nd Battalion, 47th Infantry Regiment, mounted on M113 Armored Cavalry Assault Vehicles (ACAVs) coming from Bearcat approached the Plantation from the southwest and formed a skirmish line to engage the VC, while helicopter gunships from the 3rd Squadron, 17th Cavalry Regiment swept in to rocket and machine gun the VC positions. The platoons attacked by successive bounds through the village as the tracks, forming the base of the T, gave fire support from the .50s and resupplied the troops with ammo. The only contact I had had with M-113 armored personnel carriers (APCs) was during a training exercise at the officers basic course just after I entered the Army. We were west of Highway QL1 along a road named 535. the barracks hall just as he stepped out of his room going to went off my first thought was that it was a nuclear explosion because of During Tet 1968, the 856th Radio . bodies across the road began to bloat into a grotesque scene. Realizing we were driving past our objective, I halted the company and called for the 2nd Platoon to find a place to turn around. However, Charlie Company slammed into the VC before they could organize their attack. Not only would I not finish my command tour, but I was also being assigned to a leg division. The 2-47 was one of several units General Weyand pulled in from the jungles to guard the Long Binh headquarters and logistical complex 15 miles northeast of Saigon. The Vietnamese general and the III Corps G3 adviser, however, were not very happy when we pulled out. The battalion made only sporadic contact and suffered few casualties. As the sun sank low, we closed within a few hundred meters of the scout platoon and watched as helicopter gunships destroyed a large yellow house from which the VC were pinning down Barnes troops. SP4 Lawrence Korteum 200 pounds. on the water tower". It knocked a dimple in the side of the track as I fired up the gunner., Later in the fighting, Casper and several 2nd Platoon troops were pinned down next to a building. A VC commander captured later in the battle revealed that his orders were only to start the attack after several hundred rockets had hit the Plantation, but as the rocket sites had been neutralized before the rocket threshold was reached, the ground assault on the Plantation never began. The recon platoon was ordered to establish a blocking position south of Long Binh on Highway 15. Another VC battalion infiltrated near the area of the 3rd Ordnance (Long Binh) ammunition dump [and] in a few moments, the huge dump became a fireball. The attacks were repulsed with the VC/PAVN suffering heavy losses, having inflicted minimal damage on the bases. U.S. troops firing small arms as they proceed across tall grass into the hamlet. With a push-to-talk button stuck in the transmit position, no one could use the radio. Our arrival had canceled fears that III Corps headquarters might be overrun. When we arrived, we found the churchyard packed with thousands of civilians. USAF McDonnell Douglas F-4 Phantom II bomber aircraft drop two Mk.84 HD bombs. I told him about the order to clear an area of operations equal in size to that assigned the airborne battalion. To preserve these articles as they originally appeared, The Times does not alter, edit or update them. remembered the 1SGT told him the first thing he was to get into I was disappointed when I received orders to join the 9th Infantry Division. By 1968 the Bien Hoa-Long Binh complex was the largest US/South Vietnamese military base in South Vietnam. a noise! Listening to the scouts desperate fight on the radio, Charlie Company attacked with renewed vigor as we tried to get to Barnes and his men. Normally, operations orders issued over the radio were encoded and sent by the S3s radio operator. I called III Corps and reported that we had detained all of these people, and was told to wait until the Vietnamese National Police arrived to take charge. build bunkers, and help pick up the dead enemy across the fence. Rocket Attack on Dong Tam - July 10, 1969. As my airborne mentality faded, I learned to love the M-113or track, as we called it. Unconfirmed reports reports said the blasts were . Long Binh, again (Feb. 1967). The armed helicopter teams had a field day shooting guerrillas who tried to escape to the nearby jungles. As was our normal practice, each company had sent two ambush patrols into the jungle to our front. Aerial view of (USARV) United States Army Republic of Vietnam Headquarters Complex at Long Binh, Vietnam. Four men were killed and more than 20 wounded, including most of the officers. They had been told that the population would rise up against the Americans and that there would be plenty of captured U.S. weapons to fight with. A great deal has been written about the battles of Tet 1968 and the political firestorm that resulted from them. All of these placements were made with the wrongful assumption that the VC would attack from the jungles outside the base. . The VC who had fired the RPG slipped away, but Pfc Jim Love, who was tossed into a sewage ditch by the explosion, remembers killing the jeep with his M-16. VC informants inside the base had provided detailed information as to the base layout and defenses. In the week preceding the attack these LRRP patrols engaged 2 PAVN/VC reconnaissance teams north of Long Binh. find all the dead so the countryside smelled like a scene from The Company E engaged the PAVN/VC supported by artillery fire killing 47 PAVN/VC. I had been in Vietnam about nine months. Officers and soldiers examine barbed wire fence where Vietcong broke through to enter Longbinh ammunition dump. and the perimeter was still intact. Fighting our way to the scout platoon, we were stopped when we came upon two large churches, straddling Highway 1, each occupied by VC. main target because they were outnumbered 5 to 1. Now commanded by a brand-new second lieutenant, the men of Alpha Company balked when they were told to move. We suffered more wounded during the trip back to III Corps, where I was called to a meeting in the headquarters. LV DITTO because Mankato (Minnesota)Vocational school had taught me to weld as Each APC could carry almost as much ammunition as a dismounted rifle company. As enemy resistance stiffened, we realized we had bottled at least a company of the VC 275th Regiment in the village. mortar rounds and 90 122-mm. Other than temporarily disrupting operations at Bien Hoa AB for half a day and destroying ammunition at the Long Binh ammunition dump, the VC/PAVN inflicted minimal damage to the Bien Hoa-Long Binh complex.

Pensmore Mansion For Sale, How To Type Cube Root On Desmos, Modelo Mango Michelada Nutrition Facts, How Much Was Montgomery Clift Worth, Articles L

long binh ammo dump explosion 1968

Place your order. It is fully free for now

By clicking “Continue“, you agree to our sunderland player wages and remus and sirius saves harry from the dursleys fanfiction. We’ll occasionally send you promo and account related emails.