bluing steel with a torch

Above you can see some example pictures of the colour shades that can be achieved with this techniques. It is named after the blue-black appearance of the resulting protective finish. We use cookies to make wikiHow great. Your 700F temp is too high, IMO. 99. They should start gassing up approximately 2 to 3 minutes after exposure. The steel will pull some of the carbon out of the oil while quenching and harden the outer portion of the metal. One of the reasons I hand-polish up to 600 and buff only above that is that when you see one of my barrels (by holding it up to a light source, and sighting down the barrel from the muzzle at your eye to the breech out at arms length), you see no dips, waves, ripples, etc. Holy crap, did that reaction hurt like hell. Frequent TTAG commenter Dyspeptic Gunsmith saw the gun above in our postA Garden Gun Cultivates a Newfound Fascinationand answered reader questions about blueing/reblueing a gun thusly: If the rust is very fine and there is still substantial blueing left on the gun, you might want to strip the blueing. Bluing is most commonly used by gun manufacturers, gunsmiths, and gun owners to improve the cosmetic appearance of and provide a measure of corrosion resistance to their firearms. So, you start with a clean gun, in the white, you play a propane torch over the gun to get it to the point where the blueing solution just will readily steam, but barely sizzle, and then you brush on the blueing compound. After spending most of his career as a firearms expert and enthusiast, he retreated to the great outdoors to raise his family in peace and quiet. "height": "800", I wish I had known more about the process, heating (I was working outside on a 60 degree day) I may have to check with my friend to see if it needs reblued again, Im sure he never shot it. An ideal temperature is 180 degrees Fahrenheit but it also depends on the manual. Craig, torch bluing is a real thing that has been use a lot in the custom gun world, mostly for screw heads but even for complete muzzle loader creations ( the vendor will be quite proud of his work it seems as cost increases considerably to a finished item). Oh mas oui.Express blueing, slow rust blueing, hot salt blueing, nitre blueing, carbona blueing all are better than cold blueing. ", steel". If you have very light, fine pitting, you can polish this out. When youre using hot blueing salts, youd better be on top of your game, or you can seriously injure yourself. Sign up for wikiHow's weekly email newsletter. It's worth noting that there can be some additives in motor oil that release hydrocarbons when burnt which is a known carcinogens to the body (in other words: Bad Stuff!). Cooking off the more volatile hydrocarbons leaving the heavier ones produces a different effect yet again. ", not only fun, but also profitable. You risk a big fire that is self sustaining by the reaction itself. This step should be done before heating the steel, as the steel should be quenched immediately after removing from heat. If youre using acetone to de-oil, dont be afraid to do it more than once. Alternatively, you can press the pad of steel wool between your hands over the container of acetone, and then put it on some paper towels to dry. "image": { If you have a wood or phenolic handle, use a propane torch to heat the blade only for about two minutes. Once you strip the blue & rust, then you can see what youre dealing with. Are you sure you want to heat the steel to 700F in that early step? [ Shooting Mystery is an independent website that provides content for informational purposes only. }, It is always essential to remove all oils from metals you want to blue, even if the cold blueing solution claims you dont need to do so. Ill detail why. Youll need some shop rolls, ranging from 180 to 400 grit (typical 4-packs are 180, 240, 320 and 400 grit, in 1, 1.5 or 2. I plan on doing this on a couple of older beaters first. OK, Buffing wheels, which Im making their own break-out response from the blueing salt issue: Buffing wheels are useful things in a gun shop. Then remove it from the degreaser, don't be tempted to wipe it off with anything. Any more advice is welcome SteelJunkee Joined May 6, 2018 Messages 891 Below is a link to a video I found on YouTube that shows the process. Dont. kitty litter (I would recommend the unused variety). Ill go into parkerization later this week. I wouldnt use this bluing method for these items. It takes practice. My advice to people here: Unless youre a professional, and youre working in a shop with all the required safety gear (a cold water shower within a couple feet of the tanks, and an eyewash station next to the tanks, and someone working in the same shop every moment youre working on the salt tanks), DONT. Wear thick gloves so you dont burn yourself. This process was repeated until the desired depth of color was achieved or the metal simply did not color further. To obtain oil-free steel wool, get some acetone in a container (say, an old, clean yogurt container you were going to throw away anyway). If you cant, just get them out of the case and allow air to circulate around them. So you will get a shinier finish. Why do you bother with all this crap?. Rinse them in a cold water tank after. Gun companies dont/wont do it because they want to make quick money, and today its all phosphates and bake-on appliance paint (you didnt think a guy who calls Glocks cheez-whiz was going to sing the praises of Duracote or Cerakote, did you?). To shrink, I assumed you heated the steel plate only, to expand the hole in it. If cold bluing is the only practical option, the area should be kept oiled to extend the life of the coating as much as possible. A Garden Gun Cultivates a Newfound Fascination, AZ Judge Dan Slayton Refuses to Reduce $2m Bail in Flagstaff Campus Self Defense Case, State Judge Issues Order Blocking Enforcement of Illinois Firearms Ban Act Statewide, Protecting and Serving: Springfield, IL Police Seized Homeowners Gun After Investigating Her Report of a Prowler UPDATED, Chicagos Failed Mayor Lori Lightfoot Loses in Reelection EffortBadly, http://www.lowes.com/pd_188198-316-HG-66420_0__?productId=4764059, http://cdn.spectrumbrands.com/~/media/Spectracide/Files/MSDS/SpectracideStumpRemoverGranulesSDSApr15.ashx. If you look at the temps that Tenifur(SP) and Melonite(sp) and early Pakerizing processes used this is nothing. "Rust bluing" and "fume bluing" provide the best rust and corrosion resistance as the process continually converts any metal that is capable of rusting into magnetite (Fe3O4). Picture Information. Thanks for always being so willing to share, Sir. this article statement Also buffing wheels pre blue. The robot gives the steel valve seat a quick blast with liquid nitrogen and drops the seat right in place. Hes claiming that method is more durable than Blue alone. Larger flames produce less heat while smaller flames produce a higher heat. You will get it. They are still sometimes used by gunsmiths to obtain an authentic finish for a period gun of the time that rust bluing was in vogue, analogous to the use of browning on earlier representative firearm replicas. There's also blued hardware available, like nuts, bolts, screws, and hinges. For most of the time, guns that utilize carbon steel components are the prime candidates for bluing but its totally possible to color stainless steel blue as well. If you need to use a blow torch, focus the flame tip on the area you want hardened. The blue appearance of the oxide film is also used as an indication of temperature when tempering carbon steel after hardening, indicating a state of temper suitable for springs. For more information on using a blowtorch and protecting the steel, scroll down! As a small thank you, wed like to offer you a $30 gift card (valid at GoNift.com). WD-40, as mentioned earlier, is a water-displacing oil compound not a penetrating lube, and for preventing rust, WD-40 actually works pretty well, but it doesnt last like cosmoline or waxy oils used for long-term rust prevention. Mea culpa. Often it does provide an adequate cosmetic touch-up of a gun's finish when applied and additionally oiled on a regular basis. Just remove the blue/rust, degrease, dry, then blue/card/boil-out/oil/drain. A couple bottles of aged bourbon minimum. }. Hopefully these concepts suggest caution and diligence for what you are doing. Do NOT wipe/touch your metal with anything after degreasing as the whole purpose of cleaning was then for nothing. Theres nothing wrong with your method, but is is very hazardous, especially to people who have never done anything like it before. Use a smaller toaster oven if your piece of steel fits inside. I wish this article had come out sooner, since I did not know that 0000 steel wool may have oil in it. Its oiled in production to keep it from rusting on store shelves. Use it to try out great new products and services nationwide without paying full pricewine, food delivery, clothing and more. I can see my wife walking in and shaking her headabout as vigorously as when I asked if I could use the dishwasher to clean some tools. Though it may seem tricky at first, youll be glad to have figured it out because knowing how to blue stainless steel will come in handy from time to time. By using our site, you agree to our. At least one of the cold bluing solutions contains selenium dioxide. Ill be saving this for the future. I just had my first experience rust browning a barrel. Help 'blueing' with OA torch Make sure to check every nook and cranny of the components so that you can find any discoloration or blemishes. You have to apply the bluing fluid. Most waters in the Rockies clear out to the west coast will have high(er) dissolved solids in them. Then you sight down the barrel and you see dips and waves in the barrel profile. You can not do this method with Aluminium because it won't reach the temperatures required for bluing, it will just melt. The tempering reduces the amount of martensite and thus makes the steel softer. So I buffed down the barrel with steel wool and started over heating the barrel in the oven before taking it outside to add the solution (which is nitric acid). It also looks good on AK type weapons of which I have three to park. I rarely use them. Im talking like 90+ minutes to heat the salt bath to 285F. I can keep a Krylon can always handy for touch-ups. The bottom of the crucible is opened allowing the contents to drop into the rapidly bubbling water. Be careful since considerable heat might be generated in the process. DG should receive a stipend for his valuable contributions to TTAG. These minerals (often calcium and magnesium compounds) tend to result in blotchy and uneven results. 6 years ago. blue steel 3 years ago. In order to confirm the bank transfer, you will need to upload a receipt or take a screenshot of your transfer within 1 day from your payment date. Take them out after a couple of minutes and then wipe them clean to remove excess oil. I use a pickling paste. There wasnt a whole lot of pain just yet until my buddy took the safety bottle of vinegar solution used to neutralize the alkaline NaOH salts, and then the pain was there. If you do not get crazy and over heat the steel there is no reason to be fearful of the process. you could also heat this size tank with anything from a hibatchi up to a Weber charcoal grill or you could put it on top of a wood-burning stove or even a kitchen stove. Do this outside, so you can do this next part: Just whip the steel wool at arms length to extract the excess acetone. Heating will make the metal better in absorbing the bluing liquid. LOGIX 20910 Butane Torch, Cooking Torch, Torch for Creme Brulee, Refillable, 9.6 oz, Blue Steel . This works well for me. I learned something slightly different than what you are teaching and that is I am willing to pay people like you to do this kind of stuff for me. Slow rust blueing can take a week or more to accomplish, but it is a durable blue job like no other. It is not nice stuff. He started the site to explore the ethics, morality, business, politics, culture, technology, practice, strategy, dangers and fun of guns. I'm a professional knifemaker and use many very high-temp methods including quenching 1,600F steel in pre-heated oil - I know what I'm talking about, 'cause I still have 10 fingers and my eyesight. Theyll usually go in from the right, and be drifted out from the left (ie, drifting them from left to the right as the muzzle is pointed away from you). How to Colour Steel With HEAT : 5 Steps (with Pictures) If the solution is still boiling vigorously, then you can expect the bluing to happen naturally. Any gun. Apply heat to your object and heat up gently and equally. The parts are then boiled in distilled water, blown dry, then carded, as with rust bluing. The cross section and size of parts affect the outcome of the finish and time it takes to achieve. Whats the difference between Brown Express and Blue Express? How to Harden Steel: 10 Steps (with Pictures) - wikiHow this produces better, less turbulant gas flow, which will reduce heat traces. By signing up you are agreeing to receive emails according to our privacy policy. I ended up with some spots where the browning did not take, and a few dull spots, most of which I was able to buff out with steel wool soaked with gun oil. Mea maxima culpa - and I left my comment up rather than delete the thread (for now) just so I could reply and admit the My Dumb, rather than skulk away cleanly >;-), Question Hunter holds a BFA in Entertainment Design from the University of Wisconsin - Stout and a Minor in English Writing. Remember the oil is probably gonna release some smoke/fumes once the piece is quenched so as said before: please do this step in a well ventilated area. Oil-free steel wool is also sold by woodworking shops. The loose oxide was then carded (scrubbed) off, using a carding brush - a wire brush with soft, thin (usually about 0.002in (0.051mm) thick) wires - or wheel. The mixed fumes of the acids produce a uniform rust on the surface of the parts (inside and out) in about 12 hours. Thanks to all authors for creating a page that has been read 914,567 times. In the hot salt process, you will need, oh, four to six tanks, only one of which will be the heated blueing salts. Oil and grease really are the enemy because youre trying to (literally) corrode the metal. So you said the polishing is key for the coloring process. Just take them from the comments he posts. Next comes the main part. Reply Battery acid is childs play compared to blueing salts. Just dont do it. This process leaves a deep blue-black finish. WebStep 1: Preparing Your Materials You will need: -2x containers (one of them preferably being metal for the oil) -oil -unleaded petrol/Acetone/Terpentine/Rubbing alcohol or any good I'm trying to be positive and constructive, and think this is: for an amateur to stick a very hot torch-heated metal object into a plastic container filled with oil is simply dumb (ok, more polite: "irresponsible") at best, highly dangerous at worst. Usually, you can find the manufacturers recommended ratio in the product manual. Quenched steel is harder, but it becomes more brittle. This is one of the reasons rust and fume bluing are generally more rust-resistant than other methods. Safety is the number one priority so protect your body as much as possible. Now you slide the cold rod in, and the plate cools, gripping the rod. I believe the change of color is due to a growing thickness of an oxide layer. Add 5 lbs of regular table salt to the water. 4. Once you get the colour you want, go outside to your oil container and fully quench your object into the oil!Note: I know a plastic container is "publisher": { Knowledge is the power and fear is the opposite of power it cripples the mind and the body and almost always guarantee's a poor decision will be made. The cabinet is then sealed. Also: Do not allow the solution to run, drip or sag. With. It does provide good rust resistance, which is improved with oil. Depending on the manufacturers manual, youll have to prepare roughly 6 to 8 tanks to perform the bluing effectively and efficiently. You MUST plug your barrels, gas cylinders, remove your pistons, etc. You turn up your nose at crap guns? Then, you can put the components back into the bluing tank and increase the temperature until you see the blued steel. ", the wrong quality steel. References Cold blueing is OK for touchups, at best. We have all kinds of rifles and shotguns with recievers made from non-Fe alloys again we do not give it a second though or break out the hardness tester. Blow torches only heat a small concentrated area. 3D Printed Futuristic Space Age Wall Clock. "url": "https://shootingmystery.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/Shootinglogo.png" *Potassium Nitrate is an oxidizer. Bear in mind not to touch the walls of your container as you don't want to disturb the process of what's happening! Fe3O4 requires chemicals and/or heat to push the iron to full oxidation. Thats how vigorously we de-grease guns before starting blueing. "Cold" bluing is generally a selenium dioxide based compound that colours steel black, or more often a very dark grey. Degrease a pad of 0000 steel wool with acetone. My apologies for the background noise in the first half of the video We had compressors running where I had to shoot this This video shows how to blue steel parts using an oven or torch and quenching in oil This method is not the professional method using bluing salts but can be done in your home with a torch or if you have access to a high temperature oven This method will provide your parts some protection from corrosion and show how to achieve different colors in the steel by varying temperatures I am not a professional so please spare me the that s not hot bluing and other criticisms If you don t like it turn it off Hope this comes in handy for someone, How to take apart disassemble and put together assemble a 1911 pistol 1st method, Stevens 20 Gauge Break Action Shotgun Project - Part 4 Cold Bluing with Brownells Oxpho-Blue Creme, Van's Instant Gun Bluing - Removing Gun Rust, Cold bluing Steel blackening How to use Tifoo Black Devil - burnishing steel, Gun Bluing - Colt Official Police 38 Special, Vintage Screwdriver Cold Bluing Br nierung Restore No 2, Slow rust bluing O1 knife blades part two, Easy and Fast bluing touch up Presto Gun Blue Pen, DuraBlue Spray-on Bluing Aerosol Application Process Polished Version, Axe Restoration Part Two Bluing With Birchwood Casey Superblue, Birchwood Casey Aluminum Black Super Blue and Metal Work on a Tanfoglio TA22S, Gun Bluing using cold blue and heat Weihrauch HW35 E Restoration, Perma Blue Gun Blue Paste Birchwood Casey. That said, heres the truth: The best blueing you can have on a gun is simple, safe to do, but takes a long time. All tip submissions are carefully reviewed before being published. Degrease and heat the items to be blued in a steel pan to about 700F. Have proper ventilation and use proper modern safety gear! Let them cool down as you take a closer look at the bluing effect. Alternatively, You could store them in a hard case (like a pelican with a purge) and throw some desiccant packs in there as well. It is usually inadvisable to use cold bluing as a touch-up where friction is present. $36.73. Bluing is a passivation process in which steel is partially protected against rust using a black oxide coating. Cold blues will react with steel at room temperature, but you get more aggressive reactions when you heat the gun to, oh, 150 to 200F. The blueing salt bath will be at about 286 to 292F, and as it is bubbling away, it is losing water, and the boiling point of the solution keeps climbing. The use of stainless steel alloy varies a lot from one manufacturer to the other and thats why the bluing effect wont always be consistent. Thermometers and stirring tools are also needed, as well as something to heat up the tanks. Gee, Im thinkin Duro or cero coat maybe even Krylon might be a good enough.. Central Texas. Quenching the steel rapidly cools it so the alloys inside harden together. http://cdn.spectrumbrands.com/~/media/Spectracide/Files/MSDS/SpectracideStumpRemoverGranulesSDSApr15.ashx. } I can then get the temp to be 600F spot-on in a lead melting pot. Participated in the Explore Science Contest. Tenifer get's up to (1077F) last I checked and was the 5th step in Glock heat treating after that they Pakerize it. (meaning oxygen atoms are able to attach themselves to the outer layer of the steel)We did this with an electromagnet! Its nice when something can be re-used a time or two, especially when used in diversified ways. 'Browning' is controlled red rust Fe2O3, and is also known as 'pluming' or 'plum brown'. Please be careful with the cold bluing solutions. Heating up a tank on the kitchen stove. Ive hot salt blued guns in a shop with the proper equipment and you can shove a river of iron through a single hot salt tank in an afternoon. One can generally use the same solution to brown as to blue. Use Hot Bluing And Cold Bluing To Give Your Steel That The plate turned blue just like you ible and I was told this was an effect of compression fitting.the rod didn't change colour even though it had the heat applied to it so was it actually the compression fit that changed the plates colour. Keep them in that state while you heat them but be sure to not boil up the tank. Also, the results you indicate are typical of still having some oil on the gun. My dad keeps his in a big safe with large desiccant packs that he threw in there. You need to adjust the boiling point of the salts for your altitude. I dont use hot salt blueing because much of my work is on older double guns, which have ribs that are soft-soldered into place. List Price: $18.64 $18.64. Im not responsible for marital discord as a result of gun projects attempted on the kitchen stove. Free shipping for many products! All those materials the leather and bone the coal where sources of carbon and other trace elements. Although the steel parts, such as anOrdains watch hands, are near enough miniscule, each

Died Cake Boss Sister Death, Sherman Isd Superintendent, Equinox Pool Sf, Articles B

bluing steel with a torch

Place your order. It is fully free for now

By clicking “Continue“, you agree to our sunderland player wages and remus and sirius saves harry from the dursleys fanfiction. We’ll occasionally send you promo and account related emails.