1979 dodge st regis police car

Brands New Products . Unfortunately for Chrysler, their luck just straight-up sucked. The wiring in the tilt wheel shorted out, leaving us with no cruise or horn. A staggering 25,000 examples were also built by General Motors to meet the requirements of a contract to supply the Iraqi government with a reliable taxicab. For much of the show's run, Shatner drove an equally forgettable . Even the grille pattern looks more Buick than Dodge. The Ultimate Unloved: 1980 Dodge St. Regis Police Cruiser. Michael Simonson wrote that 19,000 police St. Regis models were made in 1979, 6,000 in 1980, and 2,000 in 1981; most were ordinary police cars rather than special interceptors, and many were destroyed in movies. The Dodge St. Regis is a very rare car. I could say more about this but I wont. Its no wonder you dont see these cars around. Sweet looking car. I had one in a 70 Challenger. I liked the compact size but they were tight on space inside. This was 1979 and Chrysler still had dial radio with pushbutton Cadillac had digital soundsytems on all models back then. If you were feeling spacey, you could have sprung for this. It was based on the old trusted B-body platform and was the fastest police sedan in the quarter mile and was fastest through circuit testing when compared to rival models. 1979 brought the CHP multiple vehicle test. 1978 Dodge Trucks. Dude could of at least, got rid of the laundry basket in the front Hopefully, it wasnt the ad to sell the car. My favorite kind of Craigslist car ad: by someone who knows what the heck hes writing about. For the record, there were 360 M-bodies built through 1979. CNN got the prestige of a major car companys commercials running on their then-new channel and company cars for their reporters, Chrysler cleared out some of the sales bank and got a platform to advertise the coming K-cars. -WILL TRADE FOR- preferably 70s sedan, compact, truck, anything 70s. [citation needed] For 1979, Chrysler withdrew Plymouth entirely from the full-size segment (making the Volare the largest Plymouth that year); for 1980, a R-body Gran Fury was reinstated, nearly exclusively for fleet sales. The last thing, the original owner disconnected the headlight flip-covers, and Im unsure how to re-connect them. I have since occasionally wondered how these models would have done if they had been kept in production and the bugs worked out. I know the seats werent leather too. These cars are a great deal for St Regis shoppers. There were quality control issues, like spring shackles that were not torqued to specs which brought anxious moments in cornering or hard acceleration. That would kick in around 28-30 mph, causing a massive ping/detonation/lugging event alarming enough to make you let off the throttle. He pulled the engine to put in a 53 Willys and sold the car before he finished it. All Rights Reserved. Various party buddies employed numerous bubble gum and bobby pin repairs before we finally drove it to the wrecker at the direction of the police. By 1980, restrictive anti-emissions regulations meant that it was a dog to drive, with many police officers complaining about its poor performance. The 225 Slant-6 inline-6 was now the standard engine with optional 318 and 360 V8s; a three-speed automatic was paired to all three engines. Thats not leather, its vinyl. Cars for Sale in; Houston, TXCars for Sale in; Jacksonville, FLCars for Sale in; Miami, FL This baby did it very well. They look aftermarket or home made. He was amazed the box when that long and he thought the original owner was crazy for putting points on a car he was still making payments on. the GSP not only puts over 100,000 miles on their cars but they also bounce them across medium strips and accelerate as fast as they can to speeds well over 100 MPH. Wow only am fm and no cassette no 8 track player and one station working. On Diplomat SE, the heavier steering improves the handling much, with smaller steering wheel. The main problem with the LeBaron for us was that it just would not run right. From 1989 it received throttle body fuel injection and came with a 5.0-litre or 5.7-litre V8. I know the J-yards in Saskatoon circa 1991-ish were just lousy with them. Air Resources Board) to modify the exhaust for patrol duty. Switch to inches. The car was so gutless that they removed the mufflers and ran straight pipes out past the bumper. I can see dumping the lean burn but convert to points? Has Power drivers seat (a little of the leather separated from the seam as shown), All power windows (back right is stuck shut) all leather seats, Cruise control (works perfectly) Power steering and Brakes, stock radio turns on but only tunes into one station. The skimpy 7 1/4 rear end wore out prematurely. Eventually, the linkage got worn enough that you could just press lightly down on the lever to drop into second and then tap it upward to catch third. Between the warranty work, the money we put into it after (including paint touch-up and a great deal on an 8 3/4 Sure Grip off a wrecked 80 Volare Road Runner with 3000 miles on it, it actually became a decently running reliable car. I believe 79 was when Lee Iacocca came in to clean house. May consider other trades of equal value as well. Gene Poon: The last car I drove on duty was the California-spec 1980 Dodge St. Regis with the 318 4-barrel. The Dodge St. Regis is a very rare car. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hed87QNchpw. 1979 brought the CHP multiple vehicle test. In Canada, we only got the Medallion version, the top trim. It would be the last full-size Plymouth model ever built. My car had its original Lean Burn ditched by the original owner, when my dad got it, he found it had been converted to points and he converted it to standard electronic ignition. 1980 Dodge Aspen (Canadian brochure). 1980 Dodge Police cars (Brochure). The risks you take when buying a used fleet vehicle. He certainly was worthy of sainthood. If GM marketing had their way, using Pontiac in comparison, there was a Catalina, Bonneville, Bonneville Brougham, all sharing the same basic body and dashboard. the engine was a 318 V8, and unlike today's cop cars, these could only go but so fast. Handling Ranked 2002 Ford Focus ZX3 better. Poor quality, especially on the interior was common. It was very fatiguing to herd that thing on the open road for any length of time. The leather interior door handles need to be re-attached. A new grille for its final year heralded the merger of the Fifth Avenue and New Yorker names in 1982, in the more successful luxury version of the M-body Dodge Diplomat. The pin that held the shift lever departed, causing it come off in my dads hand. The highly boosted steering had no feel and our particular car had very little sense of straight ahead. I had the St Regis taken away since one of the commanders saw it and wanted it for himself. This is a HEAVILY OPTIONED CAR with Power Seat, Power Window, A/C, P/S, AM/FM radio, Tilt Steering Column, Cornering Lights, Cruise Control. Aluminum bumpers, coated with a chrome-like substance that peeled right off when getting splattered with the chemicals for snow melting on the roads. Powered by a 318-cubic inch V8, that car was so slow that the agency feared it stood no chance of keeping up with the old muscle cars still on the highways. Good Gravy: Ride On This GSXR600 Hill Climb Bike Running 100% Nitromethane! As Chrysler needed to expedite a downsized replacement for the 1974-1977 C-body to market (in response to the 1973 oil crisis), the R-body was developed from existing underpinnings at minimal costs. mtm352: I was a career Trooper, and one of my favorites all around was my unmarked 1980 St. Regis. ( but I dont think many people thought of searching for St Regis in cars anyway ) and I regret for not saving the photos one year ago, but it popped up again few days earlier. Early versions of this generation Malibu had six-window sides and fixed rear door window glass. Still a 360, but it couldn't handle the big tires and beating, and, being lighter, you felt every bump around. Takes me back to my days in uniform. The headlight doors have been manually cranked open. I havent seen this kind of car in years, I always felt they should have sold better than they did, I absolutely love the blue leather seats in this car, I always thought the Dodge St. Regis was the best looking of the R-body cars, how many of these cars were produced in the 1980 and 1981 model years? The leather wouldnt have held up that well. document.getElementById( "ak_js_1" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. If I had the space, and it was local to me, I might be interested evenalas it isnt and I dont! Im sure its simpler than I think. Bought from the original owner, an old veteran, who purchased it right out of the showroom in the local Chrysler/AMC dealership. It was not a high speed pursuit car, but it was no slouch either. 1978 Dodge Diplomat 4,804 mi $ 16,500 or $272/mo Gateway Classic Cars of Tulsa is proud to present this slick 1978 Dodge Diplomat Coupe. 1968 Dodge Monaco with a 383 cubic inch motor. Dodge St. Regis sedan: 1979: Dodge St. Regis sedan: 1978: Dodge Monaco sedan: 1977: Dodge Monaco sedan: 1976: Dodge Coronet sedan: 1975 . Im from Saskatoon originally. They should change the breather sticker to Lean Burn of Death. I was about to take issue with your comment then remembered the low idle vibration my 1975, Custom 500 had. By 1994 however the performance of the full sized enforcement class vehicle (Chevy Caprice and Ford Crown Victoria) was near to that of the pony cars, so the CHP now longer needed to buy Camaros and Mustangs.The 1994 Caprice with its LT1 engine was faster than a 93 Mustang, with faster quater mile times and higher top speed. Its not a perfect car as I would have done some things differently design wise, especially around the windows, window regulators, wiper linkage attachments and door seals. Ok, this is painstakingly hard to do however I've decided to sell this original, never any rust or filler, 80 Plymouth Gran Fury E38 Police Package Unit with 80K miles, 360 HP, HD 727 and Rear. The change in powertrain was unpopular, as officers found the top speed of the vehicle was reduced to below 100 mph when fitted with a lightbar (or 65 mph on a grade). Let's check out this unbelievable 40,000-mile survivor. The automotive landscape and world at-large is shifting away from petrol cars and towards electrification and political correctness. If these are civilian cars mocked up as CHP units, they could be any year off the lot, including 1979 models. I think he paid the difference in the MSRP between the Horizon and LeBaron. Its hardly perfect, but like anything else that is mechanically kept up, it has been and continues to be a faithful member of the family fleet outlasting much newer cars meant to replace it. Both the Chevy Caprice and Ford LTD of the time looked a lot better. CHP Police Car Site. I only had the car at 135 once. It had the 360 4 bbl and the rare open road package. This gorgeous full-sized survivor is listed on eBay with an almost laughably-low buy it now price of $4,250! The domes on the Federal Signal Aerodynic lightbar are in excellent condition. She is Catholic, however. Its so fortunate the car is equipped with FM too ( I bought a parts radio from ebay for my volare as I cant stand the AM radio in remote north Michigan countryside ) and more than one speaker is a big plus on St Regis. Seeing how bad they looked in less than fifteen years, given the choice, Ill take vinyl over whatever Dodge was using for leather. Copyright 2023 BangShift LLC. 2021. . Dodge Durango Pursuit (Police) 2021. . Thats an operator error on my behalf Haha. In the book's survey, officers wrote that the 360 powered 1980 St. Regis was the best Mopar police car of all time. In the books survey, officers wrote that the 360 powered 1980 St. Regis was the best Mopar police car of all time. There is a small chip on the plastic of the right rear taillight (not the lens). 1979 Dodge St.Regis (Brochure). The test led to the purchase of Ford Mustangs in 1982, for use as traffic enforcement cars. 1977 Dodge Royal Monaco Chicago IL Police photographed Aug 2007: 1973 Plymouth Fury I Delaware State Police . The R represented the best all-around balance as far as speed, power, braking and cornering were concerned. Maybe it will stay there longer. Either someone needs to use the antenna trimmer or the plug on the end of the cable is messed up and its not making a good connection. The rear drums were resurfaced, ew shoes installed and the wheel cylinders overhauled. There are some quirks like any car of this age. C $14.42. Most disastrous of all was the 1980 Dodge St. Regis supplied to the California Highway Patrol. I bought from him and have owned it 20 years and drove it as recently as yesterday. Sometimes it would fire up again again sitting, sometimes not. The "St. Regis" name first saw use as an uplevel trim package on the 1956 New Yorker hardtop coupe and again on the 197478 Chrysler New Yorker Brougham coupe. And Im sure thats the last time I ever saw one. Just seemed like a neat feature to my younger self. Thats the only connection I can think of. I use the car only for shows and parades. New emissions controls, not yet countered by technology. Henry Ford II would only go kicking and screaming, and only after he saw the success of GMads from the later 1970s showcased the full-size girth of cars like the LTD II, Thunderbird and LTD. HP exhaust manifolds from 1968-70. Included with the purchase of the car is more seat fabric, set of tail lights, wo headlight bulbs, n Aerodynic light bar to be used for parts, ll service records, he chassis and electrical service manuals, agnetic strips to cover the police' decal on the door when the car is being moved, pair of period correct California exempt' plates (one real, ne plastic), opies of literature related to the car, ash parts, he original AM radio and antenna, he original speedometer, he original hub caps, wo additional LCPD' door seals and a jacket with LCPD patches and sergeant stripes. It was a strong rival to Chrysler and Ford models thanks to its then-new aerodynamic design, weight efficiency and resulting good fuel economy. (Ford Explorer Police Interceptor Utility). The CHP tried some marked Camaros in 1992, and used a few 1993 and 1994 (and 2001 and 2002) Camaros for truck enforcement. $16,500 Dealership CC-1603255 1984 Dodge Diplomat Gateway Classic Cars of Orlando is proud to offer this 1984 Dodge Diplomat Salon. . Replacing the Monaco, the St. Regis was the largest Dodge sedan, positioned above the mid-size Diplomat and Aspen. lol. There are only handful of St Regis around, and fewer of them is in heavily salted Michigan. I fixed it then and 20 years later it needs it again. The Dodge St. Regis is an automobile that was marketed by Dodge from the 1979 to 1981 model years. The car does well in 40-100+ accelerations but dead-stop launches tend to bog. In the book's survey, officers wrote that the 360 powered 1980 St. Regis was the best Mopar police car of all time. He couldnt believe when he bought the car that someone put points in it. Although I was then and am still a total car nut, I dont recall these big Chryslers making any kind of a splash at the time. When you added in the income taxes he paid on the value of the Horizon (at the time, I recollect he was in the 70% marginal bracket) he said later he wished we had just declined the prize. Goodyear GT+4 tires were installed at 58,500 miles. It looks pretty good for 36 years and 100,000 miles. I hope the featured car goes to a good home. St Louis County Police dept. . To be fair so did most of the others. The Encyclopedia of American Cars, 2006 Edition, Learn how and when to remove these template messages, Learn how and when to remove this template message, "Detailed specs review of 1981 Dodge St. Regis 3.7L TorqueFlite offered since October 1980 for North America", https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Dodge_St._Regis&oldid=1135981790, This page was last edited on 28 January 2023, at 01:41. The interior of the St. Regis got beat up pretty easily and the frameless door glass got kind of loose but I dont remember having the glass fall out. gasoline (petrol) engine with displacement: 3682 cm3 / 224.7 cui, advertised power: 82 kW / 110 hp / 112 PS ( SAE net ), torque: 244 Nm / 180 lb-ft, more data: 1979 Dodge St. Regis 225-2 TorqueFlite (aut. Something had to be done, and for 1978, something was done. I think they should put it back in limited service, maybe nice summer days, and mess with some peoples minds. 1979 Dodge LeBaron (Brochure). Top Cars for Sale Locations. Furthermore, CHP officers act as bailiffs for the California Supreme Court and California Court of Appeal, as well as providing security at buildings occupied by the State of California. The popular Dodge Diplomat was based on Chryslers mid-size M-body platform from 1977. The higher rate springs and high effort power steering made for a pleasant driver. The dash pad is crack-free. Cool there a Fury that model near me for sale ex Florida police 318 (can come with 440) swaybars the size of your arm handles ok according to the vendor some battle scars but hes had it there for sale for several years so its obviously priced ambitiously. Only 34,434 St. Regis sedans were produced in 1979. But, I digress.) Thank you all for the wonderful comments, and this is just so crazy to see my ad all these years later! Your email address will not be published. Dodge Charger 7th-gen. New Land Rover Defen, New 911 GTS, with 7spd manual 2018 Ford Escape SEL. And I thought the general shape of the car was attractive, even if it seemed to owe a lot to Buick. 1979 Dodge Ram Charger. 1980 Dodge St Regis police car. The Impala was phased out in 1986 when the Caprice 9C1 police pack replaced it, but would come back in the future. Wow, what a cool find! Then, there were the perpetual front end alignment problems. They had replaced 1977 Plymouth Fury sedans powered by the 440 Magnum, and 1978 Plymouth Volares with 360 4-barrel (my favorite squad of all for city use). At the end of the 1970s, the Big Three were all moving towards smaller, lighter machines. It really needs at least a 4 bbl, mild cam, headers, and a 2.5 inch duals.

Orange County Alternate Defender, Is Michael Solomonov Married, Articles OTHER

1979 dodge st regis police car

Place your order. It is fully free for now

By clicking “Continue“, you agree to our sunderland player wages and remus and sirius saves harry from the dursleys fanfiction. We’ll occasionally send you promo and account related emails.